Note to reader!

I try not to reveal too much of the book's major plots but some times I can't help it to give an overall idea of what I personally thought. I try not to ruin the book for anyone and sorry if I do so. Any of the books I write about have been read recently so that the review is fresh in my mind. Some books I will reread and post again later but if you have a request let me know, it will take me a while to go through my library again.

Also I try very hard to find the cover art from the actual book that I have some times this is not possible and I may result to a more common known cover. At no time will I ever post a book cover with a movie poster on it I like the originality and imagination of books movies just ruin what the readers imagination is capable of creating.

Rating Scale: The books I post here will be set on a rating scale. The scale being from 1-5 one being most likely to read again and 5 being least likely to read again.

Friday, October 24, 2014

The Kestrel Waters

 
The Kestrel Waters Synopsis
So the publisher of this book is a serious marketeer! (probably made that word up but I'm ok with that)  I received an e-mail randomly asking me to read and honestly review this book.  They provided me with a copy of the book and I will say I was flattered.  Since my website is not even that popular, less that 3000 hits, I'm amazed they even found me in my lowly corner.  I wondered briefly if I should review positively no matter what I really thought due to the circumstances and because  it could give my blog more exposure, alas that would be unethical/political/ not my style and they said they wanted an honest opinion and honest is what they will get.  Which means this may be the one and only time I get someone asking me what I think!  I shall savor my moment...

I found several issues with this book along with a few highlights.  The language the book is written in while appropriate for the characters, setting, and time,  is very hard to understand.  I had to  re-read the first "chapter" (they are actually called verses throughout the book) about four times before I could grasp what was actually being said and even then it was iffy.  I would call it redneck southern hillbilly.  I grew up in Arkansas so I understand that this language actually exists and sadly people do talk this way I just don't know that using it as a writing style is a good idea.  I finally got the hang of words like spake (spoke) and the broken sentences about 40-50 pages in.  The storyline is in no way straightforward, the book starts at the end, and then jumps back into the past and continues from there until time catches up with itself at very end of the book.  There are numerous questions presented throughout that are never really answered.  There are breadcrumbs so that you can deduce some of the answers but nothing is ever really explained.  There were a few verses where I swore that I missed something but when I looked back I realized nope we just skipped over how that happened.  This was not one of those books I had trouble putting down.  I found it kind of boring for the most part.  I would almost say there was no climax, and who wants to put in all that effort for no climax? I mean really.  The storyline while discombobulated was ok once the puzzle is pieced together and you know what is going on, which takes the majority of the book.  I actually enjoyed the last 75 pages or so since something interesting was finally happening, but then the end came and bam more questions no answers the end.  Is this a new style I'm not aware of?  I feel like this is happening a lot in the books I've been reading lately.  I don't like it...  On a more positive note there are some pretty great quotes in the book.  They are mostly song lyrics but I think there may be some poetry in there also.  There was one I liked enough to mark the page and write it down, which means the effort wasn't a total bust.

I'm thinking this just wasn't my style of book.  There was a lot of remembering and holes to fill in and that seems like a lot of work for what should be a relaxing habit.  So if you like puzzles, remember little details and are not easily distracted you may enjoy this book more than I did.


Rating ~ 3

No comments:

Post a Comment