Note to reader!

I try not to reveal too much of the book's major plots but some times I can't help it to give an overall idea of what I personally thought. I try not to ruin the book for anyone and sorry if I do so. Any of the books I write about have been read recently so that the review is fresh in my mind. Some books I will reread and post again later but if you have a request let me know, it will take me a while to go through my library again.

Also I try very hard to find the cover art from the actual book that I have some times this is not possible and I may result to a more common known cover. At no time will I ever post a book cover with a movie poster on it I like the originality and imagination of books movies just ruin what the readers imagination is capable of creating.

Rating Scale: The books I post here will be set on a rating scale. The scale being from 1-5 one being most likely to read again and 5 being least likely to read again.

Friday, October 3, 2014

The American Heiress

The American Heiress Synopsis
Back to reading for the moment.  Finally found a little time to dive back in!  I have had this book for a while and finally felt the urge to read it. It turns out in the UK this book has different title called My Last Duchess, they are the same book, FYI.  It was a good read, kept me interested and I didn't want to put it down at 2 in the morning!  I finished it in about 4 days.  That being said if this book was based in reality of the lives of the rich and powerful thank god that is not me!  I would have lost my mind if I was Cora.  I don't have the patience or restraint to put up with rich politics, care of image, or deceit.  People with manners are very vindictive and hateful people.  I actually felt sorry for the main character the majority of the book even if she was a spoiled brat.  It's amazing somebody could be so naive and I think that is why I felt so bad for her, she wasn't bright enough to figure out what was going on around her or directly in front of her face.  Maybe I am too American but she let way too many things slide in public and private.  Cora was way too worried about what other people think, I blame her mother for that.  That is the way of high society though, gossip and humiliation is a currency. 

This is a definite chick book if the title didn't already give that away, no boys allowed.  It was written well with the exception of one thing.  The use of the word learnt, the author used it throughout the book and every time I saw it it made me cringe.  When I finished the book I looked up whether that was a real word of if the author used it to make me nuts.  Turns out learned is an American word and learnt is what every other English speaking country uses.  Even my spell check is telling me learnt is spelled wrong.  So I concede that the word is in fact real and used properly and since the book is based in England the use is legitimate.  As much as it pains me I will give the author leniency.  Still kind of annoying though.

Rating ~~ 3

No comments:

Post a Comment