Note to reader!

I try not to reveal too much of the book's major plots but some times I can't help it to give an overall idea of what I personally thought. I try not to ruin the book for anyone and sorry if I do so. Any of the books I write about have been read recently so that the review is fresh in my mind. Some books I will reread and post again later but if you have a request let me know, it will take me a while to go through my library again.

Also I try very hard to find the cover art from the actual book that I have some times this is not possible and I may result to a more common known cover. At no time will I ever post a book cover with a movie poster on it I like the originality and imagination of books movies just ruin what the readers imagination is capable of creating.

Rating Scale: The books I post here will be set on a rating scale. The scale being from 1-5 one being most likely to read again and 5 being least likely to read again.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Virgin Suicides

The Virgin Suicides Plot Summary
So I bought this book at Half Priced books with the movie cover.  Since I hate that I found this one cover I liked better.  Kind of a spoiler on what happens but that happens within the first chapter anyway so it's not that big of a spoiler.

  This book was written very well.  Very descriptive, a little wordy, author got off topic at times, but good.  Other than being sad, which with a title like that you shouldn't expect anything different, I enjoyed the majority of the book and finished it in about a day.  There is no foreplay in the beginning you get about 1/2 chapter of description and bam!  You basically hit the ground running with this one.  The middle of the story I found a little annoying only because I was screaming at the parent characters "Are you morons?!"  it is basically a manual for what  not to do with your teenagers at a time of tragedy.  I did get invested in the girls which I believe is a sign of a good book.  I do not mean to offend anyone but the parents went about things in all the wrong ways.  The dad tried but he let the wife make the ill-advised decisions.  They may have had good intentions but they managed to make things so much worse.  Good read but I don't suggest it for the emotionally unstable especially if it's a youngish person who can relate to  any of the characters.  Am I saying this book will incite suicide in the youth of our readers?  No I'm not, but let's not add fuel to a fire.  
    One of the oddest things about this book is what I found in it.  Like I said I bought this from Half priced books meaning it was used.  I found a hand written note in the front that said "Chris I want you to have this.  For when we fall to pieces.  I love you, wholly -Kerry 1/27/2006"   There were various passages underlined throughout the book, some were very odd.  I can't decide if the person was trying to explain something or justify something, I can only hope they didn't take a page from the suicide playbook.  

Rating ~ 3

No comments:

Post a Comment